REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure, web-based application for building and managing online data capture for research studies. REDCap makes managing your data easier by providing a single location for collection and storage, empowers scientists to design and control forms for data collection, and requires minimal programmer and IT involvement. Some common uses of REDCap are longitudinal data collection, recruitment screeners, participant self-reporting measures via surveys, and electronic consenting (eConsent) with a 21 CFR Part 11 approved workflow for FDA studies. Learn more about REDCap and its use in our overview guide.
NOTE: REDCap access is not automatic. There are steps you must complete before access is granted.
REDCap has two specific roles within its platform: users and project owners. All project owners are users, but not all users are project owners.
- The project owner must distribute the REDCap User Agreement to the new user to initiate the access permission workflow.
- Once the new user signs the REDCap User Agreement, they will receive a notification with the next steps for REDCap access.
- Users will be granted access to the REDCap system only. Project owners must add users to their specific project.
If you are looking to start a new project, you'll need to become a project owner:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and NU NetID to request access to the REDCap New Project Owner training.
- Complete the New Project Owner Online Training, sign the attestation when prompted within the training, and provide any supplementary materials if requested by the REDCap team.
- The REDCap team will review your materials and determine access within 24-48 hours of your submission.
Once you have been approved as a project owner, you can request a new project.
NU Network / VPN Requirement
REDCap can only be accessed while on the NU Network. If you are attempting access remotely, you must be logged into the NU Global/Native VPN or the SSL VPN. When a user signs the REDCap User Agreement to initially gain access, they are automatically granted REDCap SSL VPN permission.
REDCap uses your NU NetID & password for access. If you forgot your NetID password or need to reset it, please do so via NUIT and NOT the REDCap page. The REDCap "Reset Password" feature does not work.
- New Project Owner Training (Request access via email)
- eConsent 21 CFR Part 11 Training
- REDCap Usage Guide
- REDCap Troubleshooting Guide
- REDCap & 21 CFR Part 11 eConsent Compliance Guide
- 21 CFR Part 11 Compliance Framework for FDA Studies
- Webinar: REDCap Access & Overview
- Webinar: REDCap: Overview, eConsenting, & Regulatory Considerations
- Workshop: REDCap for Data Capture in Clinical Studies (Biostatistics Collaboration Center)
- Webinar: Detailed Guidance on eConsenting in REDCap (NetID & VPN Required)
- REDCap Embedded training videos (REDCap Login Required)
- REDCap Embedded Help & FAQ (REDCap Login Required)
- Data Management Training Resources
Click-by-Click How Tos
- Creating Surveys
- Testing & Distributing your Survey with a Public Link
- Testing & Distributing your Survey with Individualized Emails
- Viewing & Exporting Data
If you would like to arrange a free, 15 minute consultation with a member of the REDCap team to discuss your questions or project design, please schedule an appointment during our office hours.
If you have any further questions after consulting our resources, please email us at email@example.com.