Team Science Resources
Browse the links below for an array of Team Science–related resources.
Use these tools to find collaborators:
- Northwestern Scholars
A searchable database of expertise across all disciplines at Northwestern University.
- Feinberg School of Medicine Faculty Profiles
Search for an expert, locate scientific collaborators or identify a mentor for your training experience.
An ontology-driven application for representing scholarship.
Search across more than 70 institutions to find a research collaborator outside of the University.
A federated search engine using Linked Open Data published by members of the CTSA Consortium and other interested parties.
- Center for Community Health
Supports collaborations between Northwestern research teams and community-based stakeholders (including health care providers, patients, community-based organizations, etc.).
Teamscience.net is an interactive, open suite of e-learning resources designed to foster learning and skill development in Team Science.
TS Program provides customizable, hands-on training on strategic team mapping, role responsibilities and accountability, meeting management, team dynamics and conflict resolution, and collaboration tools. The goal of these interactive and experiential workshops is to teach participants competencies necessary for effective performance as a team. If your team is interested in participating in a workshop, please fill out the Service Request Form. Workshop topics include Why do Team Science?, Who does what on the team?, How do we do our work together?, and Can we work together even better?.
The 0.5-credit Team Science Graduate Course will be offered in spring 2019 via the MPH program and is open for anyone interested in Team Science. It’s designed to expose students to the principles of team dynamics, organization and leadership. Check back for more details.
- Blue Jeans
An audio/video/sharing conferencing service.
A meeting tool for hosting and attending online meetings.
- Skype for Business/Lync
Makes it easy to communicate and collaborate from anywhere across the University.
A messaging app for teams to improve communications.
A team meeting, messaging and videoconferencing platform.
An internal social networking tool to make it easy to communicate and collaborate within the University.
- Collaboration Services Calendar
Reserve meeting rooms or shared equipment, such as laptops or projectors.
- The Open Science Framework
A free collaboration tool for scientists across the entire research lifecycle.
A task management and team collaboration software to support high-performance teams.
An online communication and collaboration platform open to anyone involved in science.
A web-based project management tool that makes it easy for teams to work together.
A place for the University to deposit, preserve and disseminate a wide range of scholarly outputs.
- Northwestern Box
Provides unlimited file storing or sharing.
A web-based application for building and managing online data capture for studies.
Create sites where faculty, staff and students may collaborate online.
A secure online data collection system with tools to design measures, collect and manage data and print custom reports.
Promotion & Policy
- A comprehensive review of the literature across all disciplines and includes concrete recommendations for recognizing interdisciplinary and collaborative work in promotion and tenure: Klein, J.T. & Falk-Krzesinski, H.J. Interdisciplinary and collaborative work: Framing promotion and tenure practices and policies. Res. Policy (2017)
- Guidelines on tenure and promotion for interdisciplinarians prepared by the task force appointed by the Association for Interdisciplinary Studies (AIS): Guidelines for Tenure and Promotion for Interdisciplinary Faculty. Interdisciplinary Studies Online (2016)
- The wide-ranging guide from The American Psychological Association (APA) describes principles and best practices for interdisciplinary joint faculty appointments: Appointment, Tenure, Promotion and Merit Review Considerations for Psychologists with Joint Faculty Appointments and Involvement in Interdisciplinary/Multidisciplinary Research and Scholarship: A Resource Document (2014).
- Recommendations from The Canadian Academy of Health Sciences on how to improve evaluation and recognition of the contributions of individuals for work done within research teams: Academic Recognition of Team Science: How to Optimize the Canadian Academic System. Report (2017)
- “Reward & Recognition, Promotion and Tenure” folder within the Science of Team Science reference library group on Mendeley has up to date list of publications on the topic.
Sample Letters & Agreements
Follow these links to get involved in the Team Science community and read about the science of Team Science:
- The Science of Team Science Listserv
- The Integration and Implementation Insights Blog
- NIH Biomedical Citizen Science Hub
- The Science of Team Science Mendeley Group
- The Team Science Toolkit
You can also learn more by attending a Team Science conference:
- Team Science Science of Team Science
- International Transdisciplinarity Conference
- Atlanta Conference on Science and Technology Policy
- Sunbelt Social Networks Conference of the International Network for Social Network Analysis
- ACM CSCW
- HICSS (Collaboration Systems & Technologies; Organizational Systems & Technologies tracks)
- National Communication Association
- American Evaluation Association
- American Public Health Association
- NSF EPSCoR